Mayor’s Blog: The Mayor Channels David Letterman – “The Late Show” Top 10 for Golf
Volume 5, Issue 9 – September 2015
Top 10 true and positive statements about golf that don’t typically appear in the general media
- U.S. Golf participation has been stable at 25MM since 2011
- Approximately 2MM brand new golfers (never played before) take up the game each year… and another 2MM former golfers return to the game annually
- There are 6.4MM millennial (age 18-34) golfers, spending more than $5B annually on golf
- The pool of interested prospects for golf is enormous – more than 32MM non-golfing Americans are “very” or “somewhat” interested in playing golf right now
- Golf employs more than 2MM Americans
- The average annual number of rounds played, per golfer, is more than 18
- Golf generates nearly $4B in contributions to charity annually
- There are more municipal golf facilities in the U.S. today than ever before
- 75% of golf is played at public golf courses (not so elitist after all!)
- Golf is the #1 outdoor pay-for-play individual participation sport
Extra Holes: Golf is the greatest game ever. It’s a sport for a lifetime that everyone can enjoy, a tradition like no other, a platform to teach ethics, discipline and integrity, the best sport for business (Cycling? Puh-leese!!!!), and so much more.
The HMCT (aka Greg Nathan, NGF)
Not only helpful but noted most apparent important factor that 75% of rounds played on Public courses.
Well done Greg.